Monday, February 5, 2007

Any good tips for half marathons?

I recently ran my first half marathon in October 2006 in Baltimore. The training was actually enjoyable (but hot) for the most part; using the Hal Higdin half marathon training schedule. Being an avid runner, the training went well until the last few weeks when my body got particularly tired and the long runs were hard to finish.

I am planning on doing another one this September and was looking for any good tips/tricks to keep up my endurance in the later weeks of training. I am open to anything!!

5 comments:

The Vacation Round-Table said...

No tips on marathons, but I'm responding to your question about international recommendations. Most of my experience has been in Europe....

If you want to go to Europe and do some beach time, you definitely have to go to the Greek islands. You could definitely spend some time in Italy first (Rome is a must), then head over to Greece. The water is the most amazing cobalt blue color...never seen anything like it.

I went to Santorini and Crete- Santorini was formed by a volcano, so it has all black beaches, making it unique. It's very tiny and quiet. Perfect for romance.

My two absolute favorite cities in Europe are Barcelona and Prague. Barcelona is totally modern and artistic- great party scene, and Prague is very old, full of beautiful gothic architecture....and also has a great party scene ;)

Finally, Paris and Sevilla (Southern Spain) were the most romantic cities I've ever been to...

Andrew said...

No advice on half-marathons from me, although I can also recommend Santorini...

HlthyJersyGirl said...

I have been to Santorini and Mykonos on my honeymoon. I was actually able to run there as well along the beautiful hills!!

Christine said...

I ran a 10 mile race a couple of summers ago. It was flat course but windy along the ocean. I found incorporating hills into my training helped me go the distance for the 10 mile race. I never ran more than 5 miles in my training.

HlthyJersyGirl said...

Sanford- where is this beach place that you recommend?